How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1988-2000 Chevrolet, GMC Door Hinge Pin Replacement
Fits years: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Flathead screwdriver
- Hydraulic Jack
- 2nd person for assistance
Step 1: Remove the retainer located at the top of the hinge pin.
Use the pliers and screwdriver to pry the retainer loose.
NOTE: While you are replacing a single hinge pin, you should replace both, as you'll already be in there! This repair is common for these models, so if one has worn out, the other isn't far behind.
Step 2: Spray the area with penetrating oil to ease the removal of the pin.
Step 3: Using a hammer and screwdriver, you can tap the top of the pin to push it through the bottom of the hinge.
Pay close attention to your windshield and door panel! You don't want to have an errant hammer swing lead to our video on windshield replacement (which doesn't exist, yet)!
Step 4: The bottom pin requires the same technique as the one above.
When you remove the 2nd pin, be sure to have your assistant ready, as the door will now be free of the vehicle. Use a hydraulic jack to help support the door while your assistant guides it.
Step 5: Slide the door away from the vehicle a bit, and remove the bushings.
Step 6: Place the larger bushing on the upper end of the hinge with the smaller one on the bottom.
This is for the upper hinge! The lower hinge is the opposite.
Step 7: Using your assistant, line up the hinges and slide the pins into place.
You may need to use the hammer to position them properly.
Step 8: Once the pins are in place, use the locking mechanism to lock them into place.
Step 9: Replace the door spring.
You may need to review some of our other installation materials to get more information about installing the door spring, but those of you who know how have reached the end of the project! Great job!
88 1988, 89 1989, 90 1990, 91 1991, 92 1992, 93 1993, 94 1994, 95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000 Chevrolet Suburban Replacement Instructions
- 1992-1999 Chevrolet Suburban Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1988-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Truck and SUV Wiper Arm Replacement
- 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, Pickup, GMC Yukon, Alternator Replacement
- 1988-2000 Chevrolet, GMC Door Hinge Pin Replacement
- 1988-1998 Chevrolet, GMC SUV, Pickup Front Window Regulator Replacement
- 1995-1999 Chevrolet, GMC Vortec 5700 Engine Distributor Cap and Rotor Replacement
- 2007-2013 Chevrolet Suburban, Avalanche, Tahoe Headlight Replacement