How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mazda Navajo Tailgate Strut Replacement
Fits years: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- Flathead screwdriver (small)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's tailgate.
NOTE: Due to the nature of this installation, remember that the tailgate will not stay up on its own. We recommend using a long 2x4 or a ladder to prop up the tailgate, though if you have access to an assistant for about 5 minutes that would be ideal!
Step 2: Using the flathead screwdriver, pry the retaining clip that caps each end of the supporting strut.
You will see a small slot for the head of the screwdriver.
Step 3: By slightly lifting the tailgate, you can now disconnect the strut from the upper attachment point.
Step 4: After disconnect the lower attachment point, you can now remove the support strut from the vehicle.
Step 5: With a firm "hit", you can snap each end of the support strut onto its mounting ball.
NOTE: Remember, the slider casing (the thicker end) should be at the top, with the slim end at the bottom.
91 1991, 92 1992, 93 1993, 94 1994, 95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001 Ford Explorer Replacement Instructions
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tail Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Headlight Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Fog Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Corner Light Replacement
- 1995-2005 Ford Explorer AC Heater Blower Motor
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Corner / Signal Light Replacement
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mazda Navajo Tailgate Strut Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer Hood Support Strut Replacement
- 1991-2005 Ford Explorer, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer Power Window Regulator Replacement