How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1993-2001 Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mercury Mountaineer Belt Tensioner Pulley Replacement
Fits years: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 3/8 Drive ratchet handle
- 13mm socket/ratchet
- Flathead screwdriver
- 8mm wrench
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 8mm wrench, disconnect the vehicle's negative battery cable.
Step 3: Using the flathead screwdriver, loosen the clamp that secures the air intake hose to the engine. Disengage the retaining clips (2) that secure the air box cover to the assembly. Remove the hose/cover from the vehicle.
Step 4: Insert the square peg on the 3/8 drive ratchet handle into the opening on the IDLER PULLEY (just below the alternator). Turn the tensioner COUNTER CLOCKWISE to release the tension on the belt. You can now remove the serpentine belt from the vehicle.
NOTE: If your belt looks frayed or worn, now is a good time to replace it! Since we have it removed from the vehicle, it'll never be easier than it is right now!
Step 5: Loosen and remove the 13mm bolt (1) that secures the belt tensioner to the assembly. You can now remove the belt tensioner.
Step 6: Mount the new belt tensioner by tightening the 13mm bolt (1).
Step 7: Using the diagram posted near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the belt around the proper pulleys.
Step 8: Use the 3/8 drive ratchet handle to turn the tensioner CLOCKWISE, securing the belt to the pulleys.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not overly tight or stretched!
Step 9: Re-engage the retaining clips (2) to secure the air box cover to the assembly. Tighten the flathead clamp to secure the air intake hose to the engine.
Step 10: Reconnect the negative battery cable.
93 1993, 94 1994, 95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001 Ford Explorer Replacement Instructions
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tail Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Headlight Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Fog Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Corner Light Replacement
- 1995-2005 Ford Explorer AC Heater Blower Motor
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Corner / Signal Light Replacement
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mazda Navajo Tailgate Strut Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer Hood Support Strut Replacement
- 1991-2005 Ford Explorer, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer Power Window Regulator Replacement