How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1994-2005 Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mazda Pickup Alternator Replacement
Fits years: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- 14mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 8mm wrench
- 3/8 Drive ratchet handle
- Flathead screwdriver (2 "“ small and medium)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 8mm wrench, disconnect the battery's negative cable.
Step 3: Release the retaining clips (2) that secure the air filter cover to the assembly.
Step 4: Using the flathead screwdriver, loosen the clamp on the air intake hose that attaches the hose to the engine. You can now remove the hose/air box cover assembly from the vehicle.
Step 5: Insert the 3/8 drive ratchet handle into the square opening in the belt tensioner pulley. Turn the tensioner COUNTER CLOCKWISE to release the tension on the belt. You can now pull the serpentine belt from the vehicle.
Step 6: Disconnect the wiring harnesses (2) from the back of the alternator.
Step 7: Pry and remove the small clip/pin on the PASSENGER'S side of the alternator.
Step 8: Loosen and remove the 14mm mounting bolts (3) that secure the alternator to the engine mount.
Step 9: Remove the rubber boot from the back of the alternator. Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt (1) that secures the wiring connection to the alternator. You can now remove the alternator from the vehicle.
Step 10: Attach the wiring connection to the back of the alternator by tightening the 10mm bolt (1). Cover the connection with the rubber boot.
Step 11: Mount the alternator by tightening the 14mm bolts (3).
Step 12: Connect the wiring harnesses (2) to the back of the alternator.
Step 13: Using the belt diagram provided near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the serpentine belt. Once it is in place, use the 3/8 drive ratchet handle to tighten the belt tensioner CLOCKWISE.
The belt should be taut, but not overly tight or stretched.
Step 14: Reattach the air intake hose/air box cover assembly.
Step 15: Reconnect the negative battery cable.
94 1994, 95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004, 05 2005 Ford Explorer Alternators Replacement Instructions
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tail Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Headlight Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Fog Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Corner Light Replacement
- 1995-2005 Ford Explorer AC Heater Blower Motor
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Corner / Signal Light Replacement
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mazda Navajo Tailgate Strut Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer Hood Support Strut Replacement
- 1991-2005 Ford Explorer, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer Power Window Regulator Replacement