How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Headlight Assembly Replacement
Fits years: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Lift the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Open the protective cover to expose the area behind the headlight assembly.
Step 3: Remove the two Phillips retaining screws located on top of the headlight assembly.
Step 4: Pull the marker light/blinker assembly from the vehicle and disconnect the wiring harnesses.
Step 5: You can now remove the headlight assembly from the vehicle.
There are locking tabs that hold it in place. You will need to use a flathead screwdriver to release the retaining clips. There are two of them, and they are located behind the assembly.
Step 6: Disconnect the wiring harness on the back of the headlight assembly.
NOTE: If you ordered your replacement headlight from Go-Parts, it likely includes new bulbs (as most of our models do)! This saves you time by allowing you to move directly to installation. However, if your assembly does not have bulbs, removing them is easy, as you can simply twist the socket, and they will pull right out!
Step 7: Remove the adjuster that is still attached to the vehicle's chassis.
This allows you to keep the same headlight alignment. Just be sure that all of the adjusters attached to the old assembly are the same length as those of the new assembly.
Step 8: Connect the wiring harness to the back of the new headlight assembly and insert it into the chassis.
Step 9: Lock the headlight assembly into place by ensuring that all of the "locking tabs" have snapped into place.
Step 10: Reconnect the wiring harnesses for the marker light/turn signal assembly and secure into place by tightening the retaining bolts.
Step 11: Close the protective panel and snap it into place.
95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001 Ford Explorer Headlight Replacement Instructions
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tail Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Headlight Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Fog Light Replacement
- 2001-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Corner Light Replacement
- 1995-2005 Ford Explorer AC Heater Blower Motor
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Corner / Signal Light Replacement
- 1995-2001 Ford Explorer Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mazda Navajo Tailgate Strut Replacement
- 1991-2001 Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer Hood Support Strut Replacement
- 1991-2005 Ford Explorer, Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer Power Window Regulator Replacement