How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1995-2002 Ford Crown Victoria Outer Tie Rod Replacement
Fits years: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 19mm socket/ratchet
- ½ inch socket/ratchet
- ½ inch wrench
- Needle-Nose Pliers
- Torque Wrench
- Penetrating Oil
Step 1: Loosen and remove the lug nuts (5). You can now remove the tire.
Step 2: Turn the steering wheel to the LEFT to gain more access behind the rotor, giving us a better angle for accessing the tie rod.
Step 3: Using the needle-nose pliers, break the small end tabs of the Cotter pin that hold the bolt in place. Loosen and remove the 19mm bolt.
This bolt may take some work, as it's exposed to the elements for most of its life. We recommend using some penetrating oil.
Step 4: Loosen the ½ bolt that holds the adjustment assembly to the steering knuckle. By using a ½ inch wrench to hold the assembly in place, loosen the ½ inch bolt to release the assembly.
Step 5: Spray the tie rod end with penetrating oil. Measure the tie rod from the end of the tie rod to the attaching arm. Write this number down!
Step 6: Loosen and remove the tie rod end.
Step 7: Attach the new tie rod to the arm. Screw the tie rod into place until the measurement from the tie rod arm to the end of the tie rod is the same as the measurement for the old tie rod.
Step 8: Insert the tie rod into the steering knuckle, and tighten the 19mm retaining bolt to 40 ft/lbs.
Step 9: Insert the Cotter pin to secure the tie rod.
Step 10: Tighten the adjusting sleeve nut to 25 ft/lbs.
Step 11: Reattach the vehicle's tire.
95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Ford Crown Victoria Replacement Instructions
- 1979-2010 Ford Crown Victoria AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1998-2008 Ford Crown Victoria Headlight Replacement
- 1998-2011 Ford Crown Victoria Parking Light Replacement
- 1999-2005 Ford Crown Victoria Tail Light Replacement
- 1992-2011 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis Engine Air Filter Replacement
- 1995-2002 Ford Crown Victoria Outer Tie Rod Replacement
- 1998-2002 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis Rear Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement
- 2003-2010 Ford Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car, Grand Marquis, Marauder Wiper Switch Replacement