How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma Rear Gate Handle Replacement
Fits years: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 10mm socket/ratchet with extension
- Phillips screwdriver
- Vise Grips
Step 1: Open the vehicle's tailgate.
If you have a bed-liner, remove it from the tailgate door.
Step 2: Loosen and remove the Phillips screws (4) that hold the upper tailgate plate to the frame.
Step 3: Disengage the locking rods from the tailgate handle.
Release the retaining clips and pull the rods from the handle.
Step 4: Loosen and the 10mm bolts (2) that hold the tailgate handle to the tailgate door.
Step 5: You can now remove the tailgate handle from the tailgate.
NOTE: If the bolts, which should be attached to the handle, remain with the tailgate door after removing the handle, use Vise Grips to remove them.
Step 6: Mount the new tailgate handle by tightening the 10mm bolts (2) that secure it to the tailgate.
Step 7: Re-engage the locking rods to the new tailgate handle.
Step 8: Tighten the Phillips screws (4) that secure the tailgate panel to the door frame.
95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004 Toyota Tacoma Replacement Instructions
- 2009-2011 Toyota Tacoma Tail Light Assembly Replacement
- 2005-2008 Toyota Tacoma Tail Light Assembly Replacement
- 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma Headlight Replacement
- 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma Tail Light Replacement
- 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma Corner Light Replacement
- 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma Front Signal Light Replacement
- 2005-2011 Toyota Tacoma Tail Light Replacement
- 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma Rear Gate Handle Replacement
- 2005-2012 Toyota Tacoma Tail Light Replacement
- 2005-2008 Toyota Tacoma Rear Gate Handle Replacement