How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, Pickup, GMC Yukon, Alternator Replacement
Fits years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
- 3/8 socket/ratchet
- 13mm wrench
- 15mm wrench
- 5/16 wrench
- Flathead screwdriver (large)
- Rubber mallet
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 5/16 wrench, disconnect the vehicle's battery.
Step 3: Using the 3/8 socket/ratchet, loosen the belt tensioner, allowing for belt removal.
Step 4: Using the wrenches (2), loosen and disconnect the wiring connection from the alternator.
Step 5: Pull the air hose from its attachment on the backside of the alternator.
Step 6: Using the 15mm wrench, loosen and remove the mounting bolts (2).
Step 7: Pry and remove the alternator from the vehicle.
Step 8: Mount the new alternator by tightening the 15mm mounting bolts (2).
You may want to use a rubber mallet to situation the alternator, as space is tight.
Step 9: Connect the wiring harness (1) to the alternator.
Step 10: Reattach the air hose using the retaining clip.
Step 11: Tighten the wiring connection using the wrenches (2).
Step 12: Using the decal under the hood, re-engage the belt tensioner and position the belt properly around the pulleys.
Step 13: Reconnect the battery terminals.
96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999 Chevrolet Suburban Replacement Instructions
- 1992-1999 Chevrolet Suburban Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1988-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Truck and SUV Wiper Arm Replacement
- 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, Pickup, GMC Yukon, Alternator Replacement
- 1988-2000 Chevrolet, GMC Door Hinge Pin Replacement
- 1988-1998 Chevrolet, GMC SUV, Pickup Front Window Regulator Replacement
- 1995-1999 Chevrolet, GMC Vortec 5700 Engine Distributor Cap and Rotor Replacement
- 2007-2013 Chevrolet Suburban, Avalanche, Tahoe Headlight Replacement