How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, Pickup, GMC Yukon, Alternator Replacement
Fits years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 3/8 socket/ratchet
- 13mm wrench
- 15mm wrench
- 5/16 wrench
- Flathead screwdriver (large)
- Rubber mallet
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 5/16 wrench, disconnect the vehicle's battery.
Step 3: Using the 3/8 socket/ratchet, loosen the belt tensioner, allowing for belt removal.
Step 4: Using the wrenches (2), loosen and disconnect the wiring connection from the alternator.
Step 5: Pull the air hose from its attachment on the backside of the alternator.
Step 6: Using the 15mm wrench, loosen and remove the mounting bolts (2).
Step 7: Pry and remove the alternator from the vehicle.
Step 8: Mount the new alternator by tightening the 15mm mounting bolts (2).
You may want to use a rubber mallet to situation the alternator, as space is tight.
Step 9: Connect the wiring harness (1) to the alternator.
Step 10: Reattach the air hose using the retaining clip.
Step 11: Tighten the wiring connection using the wrenches (2).
Step 12: Using the decal under the hood, re-engage the belt tensioner and position the belt properly around the pulleys.
Step 13: Reconnect the battery terminals.
96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999 Chevrolet Suburban Replacement Instructions
- 1992-1999 Chevrolet Suburban Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1988-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Truck and SUV Wiper Arm Replacement
- 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, Pickup, GMC Yukon, Alternator Replacement
- 1988-2000 Chevrolet, GMC Door Hinge Pin Replacement
- 1988-1998 Chevrolet, GMC SUV, Pickup Front Window Regulator Replacement
- 1995-1999 Chevrolet, GMC Vortec 5700 Engine Distributor Cap and Rotor Replacement
- 2007-2013 Chevrolet Suburban, Avalanche, Tahoe Headlight Replacement