How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1997-1999 Toyota 4Runner Side Mirror Replacement
Fits years: 1997, 1998
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver (small)
- Door panel clip tool (or household putty knife)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's door.
Step 2: Gently pry and remove the window control switch-panel. Disconnect the wiring harnesses on the back of the switch-panel.
Step 3: Gently pry and remove the interior door panel's arm rest.
Step 4: Remove the Phillips screw that is just inside the interior door handle. Also, remove the Phillips screws exposed by removing the arm rest.
Step 5: Disengage the retaining pin near the door latch. There is another near the door hinge - remove this one, as well.
To disengage the pin, depress the center with your screwdriver, and pull it from the door panel.
Step 6: Remove the interior door handle trim panel.
Step 7: Disengage the lock rod by pulling the clip to disengage it.
Step 8: Using the door panel clip tool (or putty knife), slide along the outside of the interior door panel, prying outward when you feel the retaining pins.
Step 9: You can now remove the interior door panel.
Step 10: Pry and remove the small triangular trim panel that covers the mirror's mounting area.
Step 11: Disconnect the mirror's harness.
To reach the harness plug, you may need to peel the water shield back a bit. Don't tear it!
Step 12: Remove the Phillips screw that holds the speaker in place.
Step 13: Remove the three 10mm retaining bolts that hold the mirror to the door.
NOTE: Be sure to hold onto the mirror while removing the retaining bolts. You don't want broken glass on your garage floor or driveway!
Step 14: You can now remove the side mirror.
Step 15: Feed the wiring harness through the opening in the door frame, and mount the side mirror by tightening the three 10mm retaining bolts.
Step 16: Connect the mirror's wiring harness and cover the area with the water shield.
Step 17: Reattach the speaker and interior door panel by reversing the panel's removal steps.
NOTE: Be sure to attach all wiring harnesses along the way!
97 1997, 98 1998 Toyota 4Runner Mirror Replacement Instructions
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Corner Light Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Front Signal Light Replacement
- 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Headlight Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Tail Light Replacement
- 1997-1999 Toyota 4Runner Side Mirror Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1999-2003 Toyota 4Runner Radiator Grille Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Door Handle (Interior) Replacement