How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1997-1999 Toyota 4Runner Side Mirror Replacement
Fits years: 1997, 1998
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver (small)
- Door panel clip tool (or household putty knife)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's door.
Step 2: Gently pry and remove the window control switch-panel. Disconnect the wiring harnesses on the back of the switch-panel.
Step 3: Gently pry and remove the interior door panel's arm rest.
Step 4: Remove the Phillips screw that is just inside the interior door handle. Also, remove the Phillips screws exposed by removing the arm rest.
Step 5: Disengage the retaining pin near the door latch. There is another near the door hinge - remove this one, as well.
To disengage the pin, depress the center with your screwdriver, and pull it from the door panel.
Step 6: Remove the interior door handle trim panel.
Step 7: Disengage the lock rod by pulling the clip to disengage it.
Step 8: Using the door panel clip tool (or putty knife), slide along the outside of the interior door panel, prying outward when you feel the retaining pins.
Step 9: You can now remove the interior door panel.
Step 10: Pry and remove the small triangular trim panel that covers the mirror's mounting area.
Step 11: Disconnect the mirror's harness.
To reach the harness plug, you may need to peel the water shield back a bit. Don't tear it!
Step 12: Remove the Phillips screw that holds the speaker in place.
Step 13: Remove the three 10mm retaining bolts that hold the mirror to the door.
NOTE: Be sure to hold onto the mirror while removing the retaining bolts. You don't want broken glass on your garage floor or driveway!
Step 14: You can now remove the side mirror.
Step 15: Feed the wiring harness through the opening in the door frame, and mount the side mirror by tightening the three 10mm retaining bolts.
Step 16: Connect the mirror's wiring harness and cover the area with the water shield.
Step 17: Reattach the speaker and interior door panel by reversing the panel's removal steps.
NOTE: Be sure to attach all wiring harnesses along the way!
97 1997, 98 1998 Toyota 4Runner Mirror Replacement Instructions
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Corner Light Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Front Signal Light Replacement
- 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Headlight Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Tail Light Replacement
- 1997-1999 Toyota 4Runner Side Mirror Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1999-2003 Toyota 4Runner Radiator Grille Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Door Handle (Interior) Replacement