How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Tailgate Support Strut Replacement
Fits years: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Open the vehicle's tailgate.
NOTE: Because we are replacing the supporting struts, we'll obviously need to support the tailgate throughout this process. It doesn't take long, so having an assistant hold it up for you can be just as effective as using a ladder or long 2x4 to hold it open.
Step 2: Using a flathead screwdriver, pry and remove the retaining clip that holds the support strut to the tailgate door. Do the same at the other end of the strut (where it meets the vehicle's chassis).
Step 3: "Snap" each end of the support strut into place. The support strut requires only a firm tap to get the strut to snap onto the mounting ball.
For reference, remember that the thinner end of the sliding strut attaches to the vehicle, while the other attaches to the tailgate.
97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Ford Expedition Replacement Instructions
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Tail Light Replacement
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Parking / Signal Light Replacement
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Side Mirror Replacement
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Tailgate Support Strut Replacement
- 1997-2002 Ford Expedition Alternator Replacement
- 1997-2003 Ford Expedition, F-150 Power Mirror Switch Replacement