How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1998-2000 Chevrolet S10, Blazer, GMC S15, Jimmy Alternator Replacement
Fits years: 1998, 1999, 2000
- 13mm socket/ratchet
- 15mm socket/ratchet
- 3/8 ratchet
- 8mm wrench
- Flathead screwdriver (large)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 8mm wrench, disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Step 3: Using the 3/8 ratchet, loosen the serpentine belt tensioner.
Insert the square/ratchet end of the 3/8 ratchet into the square opening on the belt tensioner. Loosen this tensioner to allow for removal of the belt.
NOTE: Be sure that you have a BELT DIAGRAM posted near the radiator of the vehicle. This will tell you how to reattach the belt once we're done with the installation!
Step 4: Slide the belt from the idler pulley, and remove it from the vehicle.
NOTE: If your belt looks worn, we recommend replacing it NOW, as it will never be easier than it is right now!
Step 5: Loosen and remove the 15mm mounting bolts (3) that hold the alternator to the engine.
Step 6: Using the large flathead screwdriver as a LEVER, pry the alternator from its position. You can now remove the alternator from the vehicle.
The alternator has likely been mounted to the engine for quite some time, so it may take some work to separate and remove it.
Step 7: Pull the rubber boot back and loosen the 13mm bolt (1) to disengage the wiring connection (1). Also, disconnect the other wiring harness (1).
Step 8: Connect the wiring harness to the NEW alternator (1). Then, connect the battery lead by tightening the 13mm bolt (1). Cover this connection with the rubber boot.
Step 9: Move the alternator into position and secure it by tightening the 15mm mounting bolts (3).
This may take the use of a rubber mallet, as the space is PRETTY TIGHT!
Step 10: Using the diagram provided near the radiator, place the serpentine belt around the pulleys in the proper manner. Use the 3/8 ratchet to tighten the idler pulley, thus tightening the belt.
NOTE: Be sure that the belt is taut, but NOT STRETCHED too tightly. It should be firmly in place.
Step 11: Reconnect the negative battery terminal.
98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000 Chevrolet S10 Alternators Replacement Instructions
- 1998-2004 Chevrolet S10 Headlight Replacement
- 1998-2005 Chevrolet S10 Parking / Signal Light Replacement
- 1998-2005 Chevrolet S10 Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Tail Light Replacement
- 1998-2004 Chevrolet S10 Pickup Rear Gate Handle
- 1992-2007 Chevrolet S10, Blazer, GMC Jimmy Pickup 4.3L Air Filter Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet S10, Blazer Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2000 Chevrolet S10, Blazer, GMC S15, Jimmy Alternator Replacement
- 1998-2000 Chevrolet S10, Blazer, GMC Jimmy Serpentine Belt Replacement
- 1999-2004 Chevrolet S10, GMC S15 Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement