How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
Fits years: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Open the vehicle's door.
Step 2: Using the flathead screwdriver, pry and remove the window control switch-panel. Disconnect the wiring harnesses from the underside of the panel.
Step 3: Pry and remove the small screw covers (2) on the interior door pull. Loosen and remove the Phillips screws (2).
Step 4: Pry and remove the interior door handle's bezel.
Step 5: Loosen and remove the remaining Phillips screws (3).
One was exposed by removing the window control panel, one is near the door reflector, and the final screw is located near the bottom of the door panel.
Step 6: You can now lift and remove the interior door panel.
Step 7: Disconnect the wiring harnesses (2) from the back of the interior door panel.
Step 8: Loosen and remove the Phillips screws (3) that hold the speaker in place. Disconnect the wiring harness from the back of the speaker.
Step 9: Loosen and Phillips screw that holds the junction box (near the bottom) to the door frame.
Step 10: Peel back the water shield to gain full access to the interior door handle. BE CAREFUL not to tear it!
Step 11: Loosen and remove the Phillips screw (1) that holds the interior door handle in place.
Step 12: Slide the door handle assembly toward the door hinge and pull it from the door frame.
Step 13: Disengage the locking rod attached to the back of the door handle.
You can lift the rod to disengage it.
Step 14: Attach the locking rod to the new interior door handle, and slide the assembly into position. Tighten the Phillips screw (1) to complete the attachment process.
Step 15: Reattach the water shield.
Step 16: Re-mount the junction box and speaker. Be sure to reconnect the wiring harness!
Step 17: Reattach the interior door panel.
Be sure to reconnect the necessary wiring harnesses and secure the interior door panel by tightening the Philips mounting screws!
98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Replacement Instructions
- 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Headlight Replacement
- 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Corner Light Replacement
- 1999-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Tail Light Replacement
- 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Rear Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 2000-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Serpentine Belt Replacement
- 2000-2010 Mercury Grand Marquis Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
- 1998-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2011 Mercury Grand Marquis Side Mirror Replacement