How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1998-2003 Dodge Durango, Dakota 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Ignition Coil Replacement
Fits years: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- Flathead screwdriver
- 10mm combo wrench
- Adjustable wrench
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the adjustable wrench, loosen the nut on top of the throttle body. Release the retaining clips that secure the air box cover to the assembly, and lift and remove the assembly.
Step 3: Loosen and remove the 10mm bolts (2) that secure the air box to the engine. Remove the retaining pin (1) to allow for full assembly removal. Lift and remove the air box.
NOTE: We always recommend changing ALL ignition coils at the same time, as they often fail within weeks of each other. However, during the installation, replace ONE AT A TIME, as we can't mix up the sparkplug wires and the coils. Remove one wire, replace the coil, reattach the wire, and move onto the next one!
Step 4: Disconnect the ignition coil's sparkplug wire (1).
Step 5: Loosen and remove the 10mm mounting bolts (2) that secure the ignition coil to the engine.
We recommend using a 10mm wrench to hold the nut while you loosen the bolt with the socket/ratchet.
Step 6: Disconnect the ignition coil's wiring harness (1). You can now remove the coil from the vehicle.
Step 7: Connect the wiring harness (1) to the new ignition coil.
Step 8: Mount the new ignition coil to the vehicle by tightening the 10mm mounting bolts (2).
Step 9: Attach the sparkplug wire to the ignition coil.
Step 10: Repeat this process for the remaining ignition coils.
Step 11: Reattach the air box/throttle body assembly by tightening the mounting bolts, reattaching the cover, and tightening the throttle body cover nut.
98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003 Dodge Durango Replacement Instructions
- 2004-2009 Dodge Durango Tail Light Replacement
- 2004-2009 Dodge Durango Side Mirror Replacement
- 2004-2009 Dodge Durango AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1998-2003 Dodge Durango Tail Light Replacement
- 2004-2006 Dodge Durango Headlight Replacement
- 1997-2003 Dodge Durango Side Mirror Replacement
- 1998-2003 Dodge Durango Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2003 Dodge Durango Radiator Grille Replacement
- 1998-2003 Dodge Durango Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2003 Dodge Durango, Dakota 3.9L, 5.2L, 5.9L Ignition Coil Replacement