How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Fits years: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- 13mm socket/ratchet extension
- Vise Grips
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Remove the oil dipstick and remove the engine cover from the vehicle. You can re-insert the dipstick for the time being.
Step 3: Using Vise Grips, grab the tab on the TOP of the belt tensioner (next to the alternator) and turn it CLOCKWISE, releasing the tension on the belt. You can now pull the belt from the vehicle. SLOWLY release the tensioner back to its resting position.
NOTE: If your belt looks frayed or worn, it's a great time to replace it, as we already have it free of the vehicle!
Step 4: Loosen and remove the 13mm bolts (3) that secure the belt tensioner to the vehicle. You can now remove the tensioner.
Step 5: Mount the new belt tensioner to the vehicle by tightening the 13mm bolts (3).
Step 6: Using the belt routing diagram posted near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the belt around the proper pulleys.
Step 7: Once the belt is in place, turn the tensioner COUNTER CLOCKWISE to increase the tension on the belt.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not overly tight or stretched.
Step 8: Pull out the dipstick, reattach the engine cover, and re-insert the dip stick.
98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004, 05 2005 Volkswagen Beetle Replacement Instructions
- 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Parking Light Replacement
- 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Rear Marker Light Replacement
- 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
- Volkswagen Beetle Serpentine Belt Replacement
- 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Headlight Replacement
- 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle Tail Light Replacement
- 1998-2010 Volkswagen Beetle Front Power Window Regulator Replacement