How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1998-2011 Lincoln Town Car Front Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement
Fits years: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 11mm socket/ratchet with extension
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
- Door Panel Clip Tool (or putty knife)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's door.
Step 2: Unscrew and remove the door lock knob at the top of the interior door panel.
Step 3: Loosen and remove the 2 Phillips screws beneath the interior door pull.
Step 4: Remove the interior door pull, and remove the Phillips screws exposed by the door pull's removal.
Step 5: Locate and remove the Phillips screw located in the bottom portion of the interior door frame, near the hinge. Also, remove the screw on the bottom half of the interior door panel near outside corner of the panel.
Step 6: Pull the window switch-plate from the interior door panel and disconnect the wiring harnesses attached to it.
Step 7: Using the door panel clip tool (or putty knife), pry and remove the panel from the door frame.
NOTE: There are several clips on the interior portion of the door panel. While many vehicles have these clips that line the outer edge, Lincoln Town Cars feature clips in the center, as well. You will feel the clips "disengage" as you pull the interior door panel from the frame.
Step 8: Disconnect the wiring harnesses that attach to the back of the interior door panel.
Step 9: You can now fully remove the interior door panel from the vehicle.
Step 10: Loosen and remove the 11mm bolts (2) that secure the door handle assembly to the door frame.
Step 11: You can now pull the handle assembly UP and out from the EXTERIOR of the door. Disengage the retaining clip (1) that secures the locking rod from the back of the assembly. Also, remove the rod and clip attached to the CENTER of the handle.
Step 12: Transfer the locking cylinder to the NEW handle assembly.
Step 13: Mount the new door handle by re-engaging the rods (2) to the back of the handle. Tighten the 11mm bolts (2).
Step 14: To reattach the door panel, simply reverse the removal process.
Move the panel into position, and with a FIRM (but not too firm) strike near each clip, re-engage them. You should hear the clips "snap" back into place. Be sure to reconnect the wiring harnesses, and reattach the trim panels!
98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004, 05 2005, 06 2006, 07 2007, 08 2008, 09 2009, 10 2010, 11 2011 Lincoln Town Car Replacement Instructions
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Headlight Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Tail Light Replacement
- 2000-2002 Lincoln Town Car Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement
- 1993-2008 Lincoln Town Car Engine Air Filter Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L Serpentine Belt Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Alternator Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Hood Support Strut Replacement