How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, GMC Sierra, Yukon Alternator Replacement
Fits years: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 8mm socket/ratchet
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- 15mm socket/ratchet
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 8mm socket/ratchet, disconnect the vehicle's negative battery cable.
Step 3: Using the flathead screwdriver, loosen the clamps (2) and remove the air intake hose from the vehicle.
Step 4: Loosen and remove the 8mm bolt (1) that secures the engine cover to the assembly. Remove this cover.
Step 5: Disconnect the alternator's wiring harness (1).
Step 6: Remove the connection cover on the BACK of the alternator. Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt (1).
Step 7: Loosen the 15mm tensioner pulley bolt (1). You can now remove the belt from the vehicle.
NOTE: If your belt looks frayed or worn, it's a great time to replace it. After all, we have it removed, and it will never be easier than it is right now!
Step 8: Loosen and remove the 15mm mounting bolts (2) that secure the alternator to the engine.
Step 9: Using the flathead screwdriver as a lever, pry the alternator from its position. You can now remove it from the vehicle.
Step 10: Mount the new alternator by tightening the 15mm mounting bolts (2).
Step 11: Tighten the 10mm bolt (1) for the battery lead, and cover the bolt with the rubber boot.
Step 12: Connect the alternator's wiring harness (1).
Step 13: Using the routing diagram provided near the radiator, route the belt and secure it by tightening the 15mm tensioner bolt.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not overly tight.
Step 14: Secure the engine cover by tightening the 8mm bolt (1).
Step 15: Reattach the air intake hose. Secure it by tightening the flathead clamps (2).
Step 16: Reconnect the battery's negative cable.
99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Chevrolet Silverado Replacement Instructions
- 1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Rear Gate Handle Replacement
- 1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Tail Light Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado A/C Heater Blower Motor
- 2000-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Rear Door Handle Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado Side Mirror Replacement
- 2007-2011 Chevrolet Silverado Side Mirror Replacement
- 2003-2006 Chevrolet Silverado Side Mirror Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon Cabin Air Filter
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra Crew Cab Rear Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra Front Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement