How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, GMC Sierra, Yukon Alternator Replacement
Fits years: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- 8mm socket/ratchet
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- 15mm socket/ratchet
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 8mm socket/ratchet, disconnect the vehicle's negative battery cable.
Step 3: Using the flathead screwdriver, loosen the clamps (2) and remove the air intake hose from the vehicle.
Step 4: Loosen and remove the 8mm bolt (1) that secures the engine cover to the assembly. Remove this cover.
Step 5: Disconnect the alternator's wiring harness (1).
Step 6: Remove the connection cover on the BACK of the alternator. Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt (1).
Step 7: Loosen the 15mm tensioner pulley bolt (1). You can now remove the belt from the vehicle.
NOTE: If your belt looks frayed or worn, it's a great time to replace it. After all, we have it removed, and it will never be easier than it is right now!
Step 8: Loosen and remove the 15mm mounting bolts (2) that secure the alternator to the engine.
Step 9: Using the flathead screwdriver as a lever, pry the alternator from its position. You can now remove it from the vehicle.
Step 10: Mount the new alternator by tightening the 15mm mounting bolts (2).
Step 11: Tighten the 10mm bolt (1) for the battery lead, and cover the bolt with the rubber boot.
Step 12: Connect the alternator's wiring harness (1).
Step 13: Using the routing diagram provided near the radiator, route the belt and secure it by tightening the 15mm tensioner bolt.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not overly tight.
Step 14: Secure the engine cover by tightening the 8mm bolt (1).
Step 15: Reattach the air intake hose. Secure it by tightening the flathead clamps (2).
Step 16: Reconnect the battery's negative cable.
99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Chevrolet Silverado Replacement Instructions
- 1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Rear Gate Handle Replacement
- 1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Tail Light Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado A/C Heater Blower Motor
- 2000-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Rear Door Handle Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado Side Mirror Replacement
- 2007-2011 Chevrolet Silverado Side Mirror Replacement
- 2003-2006 Chevrolet Silverado Side Mirror Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon Cabin Air Filter
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra Crew Cab Rear Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
- 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra Front Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement