How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Headlight Replacement
Fits years: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 10mm socket/ratchet with extension
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver (small)
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Remove the grille.
Disengage the retaining clips (4 along the top, 3 along the bottom) using the flathead screwdriver. By depressing the locking tab, which is accessible from the side of the clip, you can disengage them, allowing for removal of the grille.
Step 3: Loosen and remove the Phillips screw (1) that holds the marker light assembly in place.
This screw is located just above where the headlight and marker light assemblies meet.
Step 4: You can now pull and remove the side marker light assembly. Disconnect the wiring harness attached to the back of the assembly.
Step 5: Loosen and remove the 10mm retaining bolts (5) that hold the headlight assembly in place.
Three bolts are located to the "inside of the assembly" (near the radiator). The other two are nuts that will require a deep socket or wrench (10mm) to remove.
Step 6: You can now pull the headlight from the vehicle. Disconnect the wiring harnesses attached to the back of the assembly.
NOTE: If you ordered your replacement headlight from Go-Parts, it likely includes new bulbs, as most of our models do. This saves you an installation step! However, if your particular model does not, simply turn the socket counter-clockwise to remove it, and attach it to the new assembly. This process takes just a few moments!
Step 7: Connect the wiring harness to the new headlight assembly.
Step 8: Mount the new headlight by tightening the 10mm retaining bolts (5).
Step 9: Reconnect the side marker light's wiring harness, and secure the assembly by tightening the Phillips screw (1).
Step 10: Remove any clips that came off with the grille, and reattach them to their respective tabs on the vehicle.
Step 11: Snap the grille into place by re-engaging the retaining clips.
99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Toyota 4Runner Headlight Replacement Instructions
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Corner Light Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Front Signal Light Replacement
- 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner Headlight Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Tail Light Replacement
- 1997-1999 Toyota 4Runner Side Mirror Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1999-2003 Toyota 4Runner Radiator Grille Replacement
- 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Door Handle (Interior) Replacement