How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley Replacement
Fits years: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 10mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 12mm socket/ratchet with extension
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Loosen and remove the 10mm bolts (3) that secure the belt guards to the alternator assembly. Remove the smaller cover.
Step 3: Loosen and remove the 12mm bolt (1) that secures the larger cover to the assembly. Remove this cover.
Step 4: Loosen the 12mm bolts (2, one is the adjusting bolt, while the other is just below it). You can now remove the serpentine belt from the vehicle.
NOTE: If your serpentine belt looks worn or frayed, it's a great time to replace it, as it will never be easier than it is right now!
Step 5: Loosen and remove the 12mm bolt just below the engine oil dipstick.
Step 6: Loosen the 12mm adjusting bolt (1) just below the radiator to ease the tension on the second belt. You can now pull this belt from the vehicle.
Step 7: Loosen and remove the 12mm bolts (2) that secure the tensioner/adjustment pulley to the vehicle.
Step 8: You can now remove the pulley from the vehicle.
NOTE: You will need to drive the center of the pulley in order to separate it from the mounting bracket. We recommend using a 2x4 and a hammer.
Step 9: Mount the new pulley to the mounting bracket.
Step 10: Attach the pulley bracket by tightening the 12mm bolts (2).
Step 11: Using the diagram posted near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the first belt. Tighten the 12mm tensioner bolt (1) to secure it.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not stretched or overly tight.
Step 12: Route the serpentine belt using the diagrams, and tighten the tensioner bolt. Remember, the belt shouldn't be overly tight!
Step 13: Reattach the belt covers by tightening the 10mm and 12mm bolts.
00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004 Subaru Outback Replacement Instructions
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Headlight Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Tail Light Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Fog Light Replacement
- 1997-1999 Subaru Outback Corner Light Replacement
- 1997-1999 Subaru Outback Headlight Assembly Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Alternator, Fan Belt Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Front Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Rear Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement
- 2000-2004 Subaru Outback Rear Door Handle (Interior) Replacement