How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Serpentine Belt Idler Pulley Replacement
Fits years: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- 10mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 15mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 18mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 3/8 Drive ratchet handle
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Disconnect the wiring harness from the back of the air intake hose. Loosen and remove the flathead clamp (1) that secures the intake hose to the engine. Slide it from the engine. Disengage the air box retaining clips (2) and lift the cover/hose assembly. You can fully remove the assembly by releasing the final retaining clip and wiring harness (1).
Step 3: Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt (1) that secures the air box compartment to the vehicle. You can now lift and remove the BOTTOM of the air box compartment from the vehicle. Disconnect the wiring harness (1).
Step 4: Position the jack beneath the engine. Raise the jack to support the engine in its CURRENT height.
Step 5: Loosen and remove the 18mm bolts (2) that secure the engine mount, on the PASSENGER'S side of the engine, to the vehicle.
Step 6: You can now lift the engine by raising the jack.
Step 7: Loosen and remove the 15mm engine mount bolts (3). Remove the mounting bracket from the vehicle.
Step 8: Using the 3/8 drive ratchet, insert the square peg into the opening on the belt tensioner bolt (1). Turn the tensioner COUNTER CLOCKWISE to release tension on the belt. Slide the belt from the pulleys, and SLOWLY release the tensioner to its resting position.
NOTE: You will need to jack the engine up to a point where you can REACH the 3/8 opening on the tensioner.
Step 9: Loosen and remove the 15mm bolt (1) that secures each idler pulley to the assembly. There are 2 idler pulleys in the assembly.
Step 10: Mount the new idler pulleys by tightening the 15mm mounting bolt (1) for each one.
Step 11: Using the belt routing diagram posted near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the serpentine belt around the proper pulleys.
Step 12: Once the belt is in place, use the 3/8 drive ratchet handle to turn the belt tensioner CLOCKWISE, securing the belt's position.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not overly tight or stretched!
Step 13: Attach the engine mounting bracket by tightening the 15mm bolts (3).
Step 14: Lower the engine slightly, allowing you to tighten the 18mm bolts (2) to finalize the mounting bracket's attachment. Once securely in place, you can release the jack.
Step 15: Tighten the 10mm bolt (1) and connect the wiring harness (1) to secure the BOTTOM of the air box and the wiring bundle to the vehicle.
Step 16: Reattach the top of the air box compartment/air intake hose.
05 2005, 06 2006, 07 2007, 08 2008, 09 2009 Chevrolet Equinox Replacement Instructions
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Tail Light Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Headlight Replacement
- 2007-2011 Chevrolet Equinox Fog Light Replacement
- 2005-2008 Chevrolet Equinox Cabin Air Filter Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox 3.4L Engine Air Filter Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Side Mirror Replacement