How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Fits years: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- 10mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 15mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 17mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 3/8 Drive ratchet handle
- Flathead screwdriver
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Disconnect the wiring harness from the side of the air intake hose. Loosen and remove the flathead clamps (2) that secure the air intake hose to the engine. Release the air intake hose compartment retaining clips (2). Remove the air intake hose/box assembly from the vehicle.
Step 3: Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt that secures air intake compartment to the vehicle. You can now lift and move it out of the way.
Step 4: Disconnect the wiring harness from the UNDERSIDE of the air box.
Step 5: Position the jack on the UNDERSIDE of the engine.
Step 6: Loosen and remove the 17mm bolts (2) that secure the engine mount to the engine/vehicle.
Step 7: Lift the engine using the jack slightly, and loosen and remove the 15mm bolts (3) to fully separate the engine mount from the vehicle. Remove the bracket.
Step 8: Lift the engine to reach the belt tensioner. Insert the 3/8 drive ratchet handle into the square opening on the belt tensioner. Turn the tensioner COUNTER CLOCKWISE to release the tension on the belt, allowing for its removal. SLOWLY release the tensioner to its resting position.
NOTE: If your belt looks worn or frayed, it's a great time to replace it, as it will never be easier than it is right now!
Step 9: Loosen and remove the 15mm bolt (1) that secures the belt tensioner to the assembly. You can now remove the tensioner.
Step 10: Mount the new belt tensioner by tightening the 15mm bolt (1). Use the guiding pin to ensure proper placement.
Step 11: Using the belt routing diagram posted near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the serpentine belt around the proper pulleys.
Step 12: Once the belt is in place, turn the tensioner CLOCKWISE to increase the tension on the belt, securing its position.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not stretched or overly tight.
Step 13: Lower the engine jack to reattach the mounting bracket. Tighten the 15mm bolts (3).
Step 14: Lower the engine jack a bit more and tighten the 17mm bolts (2).
Step 15: Reattach the air box by connecting the wiring harness (1) and tightening its mounting bolt.
Step 16: Reattach the air intake hose/air box cover assembly by re-engaging the retaining clips (2) and tightening the flathead clamps (2).
Step 17: Reattach the connections to the back of the air intake hose.
05 2005, 06 2006, 07 2007, 08 2008, 09 2009 Chevrolet Equinox Replacement Instructions
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Tail Light Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Headlight Replacement
- 2007-2011 Chevrolet Equinox Fog Light Replacement
- 2005-2008 Chevrolet Equinox Cabin Air Filter Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox 3.4L Engine Air Filter Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Rear Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Door Handle (Interior) Replacement
- 2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Side Mirror Replacement