How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 Serpentine Belt Idler Pulley Replacement
Fits years: 0
Looking for the part mentioned in this article?
Please click here to tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll contact you within the next few hours with price and availability.
- 8mm wrench
- 15mm wrench
- Pipe (or similar object) to improve leverage
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Using the 8mm wrench, disconnect the negative battery cable.
Step 3: Locate the IDLER PULLEY just below the alternator. Just below the idler pulley is the BELT TENSIONER. Turn the 15mm belt tensioner bolt (1) CLOCKWISE to release the tension on the belt. Once you have done so, pull the serpentine belt from the vehicle. Slowly release the tensioner bolt back to its resting position.
You may need to use a hollow pipe or another wrench to pull on the 15mm wrench, adding some extra leverage.
NOTE: If your serpentine belt looks frayed or worn, now is a great time to replace it! Since we have it removed, it will never be easier than it is right now!
Step 4: Loosen and remove the 15mm bolt (1) that secures the IDLER PULLEY to the assembly.
Step 5: You can now remove the idler pulley from the assembly.
Step 6: Transfer the washer/bolt to the new idler pulley. Mount the pulley by tightening the 15mm bolt (1).
Step 7: Using the belt routing diagram provided near the radiator (or in the owner's manual), route the serpentine belt. Once it's in position, turn the tensioner bolt (1) COUNTER CLOCKWISE to tighten the belt onto the pulleys.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not stretched or overly tight!
Step 8: Reconnect the negative battery cable.
0 Ford Taurus Replacement Instructions
- 2000-2007 Ford Taurus Headlight Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus Cooling Fan Replacement
- 2000-2007 Ford Taurus Tail Light Replacement
- 2000-2007 Ford Taurus Side Mirror Replacement
- 1996-2009 Ford Taurus Cabin Air Filter
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus Third Brake Light Bulb Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable AC Heater Fan Speed Resistor Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Vent Air Door Actuator Replacement
- 1998-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Air Filter Replacement