How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1993-2006 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Fits years: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- T27 Torx bit/ratchet
- 15mm wrench
- Large wrench or other metal lever
- 8mm wrench
NOTE: We're going to be removing the idler pulley and belt during this process. If you are replacing the belt tensioner due to wear, it's probably a good idea to replace the idler pulley AND the belt, as it will never be easier than it is right now
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: With the 8mm wrench, disconnect the vehicle's negative battery cable.
Step 3: Using the 15mm wrench (and a second wrench or pipe for leverage), turn the belt tensioner bolt CLOCKWISE. (The lower pulley)
This will loosen the belt tension, allowing us to slip it off.
Step 4: Loosen and remove the idler pulley by loosening the 15mm bolt (1). Remove the idler pulley.
This is the upper pulley.
Step 5: Using the T47 bit/ratchet, loosen and remove the screw (1) exposed by removing the idler pulley.
Step 6: You can now remove the belt tensioner from the vehicle.
Step 7: Secure the new belt tensioner by tightening the T47 screw.
Insert the screw into the belt tensioner, and use the alignment pin on the back of the tensioner to ensure proper placement. Without proper engagement of the alignment pin, the pulley will move, which doesn't meet our need at all! Turn the pulley until you feel the pin stop on the engine block.
Step 8: Reattach the idler pulley by tightening the 15mm retaining bolt (1).
Step 9: Fit the belt onto the pulleys. We recommend using a diagram to ensure proper installation.
When fitting the belt around the pulleys, know that the belt always wraps around the OUTSIDE of the pulleys on the outside of the pulley arrangement. There are 7 pulleys in all, with 5 of them having the belt wrap around the OUTSIDE. It alternates as you work your way around.
Step 10: Tighten the belt tensioner until the belt is taut.
Turn the tensioner counter-clockwise to tighten.
93 1993, 94 1994, 95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004, 05 2005, 06 2006 Ford Taurus Replacement Instructions
- 2000-2007 Ford Taurus Headlight Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus Cooling Fan Replacement
- 2000-2007 Ford Taurus Tail Light Replacement
- 2000-2007 Ford Taurus Side Mirror Replacement
- 1996-2009 Ford Taurus Cabin Air Filter
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus Third Brake Light Bulb Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable AC Heater Fan Speed Resistor Replacement
- 1996-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Vent Air Door Actuator Replacement
- 1998-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Air Filter Replacement