How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire Headlight Switch Replacement
Fits years: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- 7mm socket/ratchet
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- 21mm socket/ratchet
- 8mm wrench
- Steering Wheel Puller
Step 1: Using the 8mm wrench, disconnect the positive (red) battery cable.
Step 2: Disable the driver's side airbag by straightening the wheel, opening the fuse box (located where the interior door panel touches the dash, and removing the relevant fuse.
Use the fuse diagram on the inside of the fuse box panel as your guide "“ find the right fuse!
Step 3: Turn the steering wheel to a 90-degree angle, locate the 10mm bolt on the back of the steering wheel and remove it. There will be two that you must remove (one on each side).
The size of this bolt may vary given the year of the vehicle.
Step 4: Remove the air bag from the steering wheel and disconnect the wiring harness that powers it.
Step 5: Using the 21mm socket, remove the bolt in the center of the steering wheel.
Step 6: Using a steering wheel puller tool, fully remove the steering wheel from the vehicle.
Step 7: Using the 7mm socket, remove the three bolts underneath the steering column.
Step 8: You can now remove the top and bottom panels, exposing the steering column/ignition switch. Remove the top first!
Step 9: Remove the two 7mm bolts that hold your headlight switch in place.
Step 10: Disconnect the wiring harnesses that power your headlight switch.
Step 11: Connect the wiring harnesses to the new headlight switch and secure it into place by tightening the two 7mm retaining bolts.
Step 12: Snap the two steering column cover panels together and tighten the bolts that secure them in place.
Step 13: Reattach your steering wheel.
NOTE: Be sure that you feed the wiring harness through and use the marks on the steering wheel and the column as a guide. They should line up perfectly before you tighten the steering wheel to the column!
Step 14: Reattach the air bag electrical connections, and reattach it to the steering wheel.
Step 15: Replace the airbag fuse.
Step 16: Reconnect the negative battery cable.
95 1995, 96 1996, 97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003, 04 2004, 05 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Headlights Replacement Instructions
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier AC Blower Motor Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Side Mirror Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier AC Cooling Fan Replacement
- 2003-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Headlight Replacement
- 2003-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Tail Light Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Exterior Door Handle Replacement
- 1995-1997 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire Intake Hose Replacement
- 1995-2002 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire Ignition Coil Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Front Door Panel (Interior, Manual Windows) Replacement
- 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Rear Door Panel (Manual Windows) Replacement