How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Serpentine Belt Replacement
Fits years: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
- 15mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 18mm socket/ratchet with extension
- 3/8 drive ratchet handle
- Jack/engine hoist
Step 1: Open the vehicle's hood.
Step 2: Loosen and remove the 18mm bolts (2) that secure the engine to the chassis.
These bolts can be found on the engine mount on the PASSENGER'S side of the vehicle, accessible from the TOP.
Step 3: Loosen and remove the 15mm bolts (2) on the engine mount.
Step 4: Place the jack beneath the engine (near the oil pan) and raise the engine up, giving you better access to the serpentine belt's position.
Step 5: Remove the engine mount from the vehicle.
Step 6: Using the 3/8 drive ratchet handle, insert the square peg into the belt tensioner and turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE to release the tension on the belt. You can now remove the belt. Once the belt is removed, SLOWLY release the tensioner to its resting position.
Step 7: Using the belt routing diagram posted near the radiator, on the UNDERSIDE of the hood, or in the owner's manual, route the belt around the proper pulleys.
Step 8: Once the belt is in place, use the 3/8 ratchet handle to turn the belt tensioner CLOCKWISE.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not overly tight or stretched.
Step 9: Move the engine mount bracket into position.
Step 10: Tighten the 18mm bolts (2).
Step 11: Lower the engine by releasing the jack SLOWLY.
Step 12: Tighten the 15mm bolts (2).
97 1997, 98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002, 03 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Replacement Instructions
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Headlight Replacement
- 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu Side Mirror Replacement
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Tail Light Replacement
- 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu Tail Light Replacement
- 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu Headlight Replacement
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Side Mirror Replacement
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Front Side Marker Light Replacement
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Blower Motor Speed Resistor Replacement
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Engine Air Filter Replacement
- 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu Front Door Handle (Exterior) Replacement