How do you Change, Replace, or Install Broken 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Fits years: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- 3/8 ratchet handle
- 10mm socket/ratchet
- 8mm wrench
Step 1: Using the 8mm wrench, disconnect the vehicle's negative battery cable.
Step 2: Locate the belt routing diagram posted either under the hood or in the owner's manual.
Step 3: Insert the 3/8 square ratchet handle into the belt tensioner. Turn the tensioner CLOCKWISE to release the tension on the belt. Remove the serpentine belt from the vehicle, and slowly release the tensioner.
Step 4: Loosen and remove the 10mm mounting bolt (1) that secures the belt tensioner to the assembly. You can now remove the tensioner.
Step 5: Mount the new tensioner to the assembly by tightening the 10mm mounting bolt (1).
Use the guiding tab on the tensioner to ensure proper positioning.
Step 6: Route the serpentine belt per the diagram we found in Step 2. Once the belt is properly positioned, use the 3/8 ratchet handle to turn the tensioner COUNTER CLOCKWISE, tightening the belt into place.
NOTE: The belt should be taut, but not stretched or overly tight!
Step 7: Using the 8mm wrench, reconnect the vehicle's battery cable.
98 1998, 99 1999, 00 2000, 01 2001, 02 2002 Lincoln Town Car Replacement Instructions
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car AC Heater Blower Motor Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Headlight Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Tail Light Replacement
- 2000-2002 Lincoln Town Car Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement
- 1993-2008 Lincoln Town Car Engine Air Filter Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L Serpentine Belt Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Alternator Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Front Door Panel (Interior) Replacement
- 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car Hood Support Strut Replacement